Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Morning star

After reminding me that he was an eyewitness to Jesus' ministry, Peter says, "And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts." ( 2 Peter 1:19 )

When he says the prophets' words are now more certain, I think that means that Jesus fulfilled or guaranteed them - not just prophecies, but promises. Hope and anticipation become certainty.

Since that's the case, Peter says, I should pay attention to those prophets, and those promise. Why? Because this world is a dark place, full of people enslaved by the King of Darkness, and too often I too choose to live in the shadows.

Jesus' work here on earth brings light. Now it's a torch shining in a dark world, but soon the night will pass, the day will dawn, and the morning star (Jesus) will rise in my heart.

What does that mean? I think it refers to the ongoing process of my sanctification; as I grow holier the gospel of Christ burns brighter and brighter, driving out the darkness of my sinful desires and eventually illuminating every corner. The dark night of my soul becomes the bright daylight of my sanctified self, but only because the Morning Star is there.

So yeah, I should pay attention. I'm sick of this dark heart; daybreak can't get here too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment