Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, January 1, 2016

my New Year's prayer

Today is the first day of 2016. This year, no resolutions, no new goals (I have some unmet ones left over from last year). This year, a prayer.

Lord, help me to be what this messed-up world needs in order to see you.

Help me be the voice of kindness when the political rhetoric turns to name-calling and nasty accusations, when angry minorities confront complacent majorities, when my perception of your love is challenged to include people I don’t like.

Help me be the instrument of peace when the world sees Christians as the ones so eager to shoot back, and and even willing to shoot first if it means sniping an abortion doctor or wiping out a Planned Parenthood clinic. Help me to pray and love instead of fight.

Help me be the hands of compassion when the storms strike or layoffs hit or when backs are turned, so that unwed mom or gay couple or twice-divorced old bar-fly can feel just for a minute how your love has changed me.

Help me be the husband who nurtures his wife, the dad who serves his children, the son who doesn’t forget his mom and dad. Help me be the friend my friends need.

Help me to lose my self-centeredness so I can see your image-bearers the way you see them, and to lose my selfishness so that I’ll act on what I see.

Lord, in 2015 I did a lot of finger-pointing, I sneered at a lot of people, I called names and talked behind people's backs. I wasn’t a very good example of what your followers are supposed to be, and I’m afraid when the world looked at me I reinforced a lot of their bad stereotypes of what your church is.

Help me, this year, to want what you want, to love everyone as you love, and to heal and unite instead of wound and divide. Lord, this year may there be less of me and more of you.

Amen.

1 comment: