Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

orderly account

Sometimes it's easy to forget that we are called to an intellectual faith. True, it's also an emotional faith - some of the most beautiful moments in worship and devotions come from a full heart - but with all the focus on how worship makes us feel, or what we like, it's important to remember that we're called to know as well.

I think about that pretty much every time I start reading the book of Luke. That Gospel starts this way, in chapter 1:1-4 "Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

Luke's approach was to carefully investigate and then report in an orderly way. In other words, he gathered the facts as well as he could, and put them together in a coherent structure. Why? So that his reader could know for certain.

Facts persuade. Facts and logic make sense, where emotional appeals can create skepticism. Not only that, but a faith that requires me to check my brain at the door, to just accept at face value anything I hear, isn't a true faith in my opinion.

I think maybe emotion is great for people who already have engaged the questions of their faith intellectually and have knowledge- and fact-based reasoning to support their faith. I think once the truth is known, then an emotional response to the truth is not only appropriate, but evidence of faith. Gratitude and love will flow from a saved soul.

On the other hand, emotions without some factual support are dangerous. It's easy for us to deceive ourselves when our hearts get involved. Just look at all the stupid things we do in the name of earthly love.

So I like the Gospel of Luke. I like it that this scientist, this physician, took the time to do thorough investigation and report back to us. I want to know the facts; I think it's part of loving God with my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment