Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

a new will


I have a problem. Actually, I’m a sinner. I struggle with sin. These days we say things like “I have a problem,” or a weakness, or that we make mistakes. We say those things because we don’t like to admit reality: we do things that offend God. We sin.
But here’s a piece of good news, from 1 Peter 4:1-2: “Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.”
It’s Advent, the time we remember the time before Jesus came, when people lived in darkness. It’s a good time to reflect on the darkness that has at times claimed me and would like to claim me again. Because the answer to that darkness is the same Light who came that first Christmas.
Here’s another reason Christmas is a big deal: I’m free from my sin. That’s not to say I won’t be tempted sometimes, but Jesus’ death combined with his call to me and claim on me means that sin just doesn’t have power anymore. Jesus is the only person, and his death the only event, that could equip me to ignore my evil human desires and instead live according to God’s will.
The implications are enormous, but chief among them is this: I can have joy! No matter what else my sin ever gave me, it always robbed me of joy. Joy and sin can’t coexist; they’re like, well, light and dark.
Living God’s way brings almost un-imaginable joy. Without Jesus, I’d never have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment