Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

no secrets

I wonder how many of the things I’ve said in the last week would have come out of my mouth if I knew eventually everyone would hear them.

I wonder because of this bit of teaching from Jesus in Luke 12:1-3: “Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: ‘Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.’”

It’s an interesting setting. With a huge throng gathered to hear Jesus teach, he has a few words in private with his disciples first. Presumably it’s something they need to hear before he talks to the crowd. And this important bit of context is this: don’t be hypocrites like the Pharisees.

Eventually, Jesus says, hypocrisy will be found out. Your secrets will be known. Your private words won’t be private anymore.

That’s especially true these days, when screen captures of people’s private texts are often posted to social media. We have new and improved ways not only to gossip, but to get even. Everyone has a camera in their phone, and secrets are growing harder and harder to keep.

In some ways, that’s good. Elsewhere Jesus admonishes us to live in the light, rather than hide our deeds with darkness. A life of witness needs to be witnessed.

But it’s still scary. I’m not ready for that kind of transparency. I say too many things assuming the person I’m talking about will never hear them. I do too many things believing that people who might expect something different from me will never know.

But it’s a good goal. Can I live a day, or a week, as if everything I do or say will be known by all my family, my friends, my pastor and elders, my co-workers? How different would it be?

Oh, and then once I clean up my words and actions, can I clean up my thoughts too?

No comments:

Post a Comment