Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, January 3, 2019

led by the Spirit

It’s possible I don’t completely understand how the Holy Spirit works. Actually, it’s likely. But I think I put limits on the Spirit’s role. I think of the Holy Spirit as an advisor, kind of an internal conscience that lets me know something is a bad idea. Or as the one who can help me understand God. I don’t often think of the Spirit as having an active role in my spiritual development.

Jesus’ earthly experience with the Holy Spirit has me rethinking things a bit. As a grown young man, Jesus went into the desert to meet John the Baptist and be baptized, so that he could meet all the requirements God laid on his people. Matthew tells us what happened, in Matthew 3:13-4:1: 

“As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’
“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.”

I normally read these two stories separately, so it never really clicked with me that the very first thing the Spirit did after resting on Jesus at his baptism was to lead him to forty days of fasting and temptation. But the way Matthew tells it, this formative period wasn’t Jesus’ idea. God through the Spirit led him there.

And Jesus followed, showing full obedience and trust. It wasn’t like the Spirit was taking him somewhere fun, but Jesus was willing to be led anyway. In this way he shows us that he was on earth to do whatever God charged him with. His agenda wasn’t his own, but completely his father’s.

If I put the Spirit into that interpreter-conscience box, I might miss the times he’s trying to move me to action. I expect him to help me with my thoughts; in fact, he can help me know what to do. 

I’m not sure yet exactly what this means for life, except I probably need to listen more attentively. It reminds me that the three persons of God are still God, and united in doing God’s work. It won’t do to give one less credence than the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment