Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Idol food

I’ve often thought that we believers make too much of the wrong things. I thought that again this morning as I read 1 Cor 8:4-8, where Paul addresses the question of food sacrificed to idols.

Paul’s bottom line answer: It doesn’t matter if you eat it or not. The only reason it’s a problem is because some of you think it is. God really doesn’t care. “But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.” (v8).

If you have a weak conscience you might have a problem with idol food, Paul says. God doesn’t. It’s really a question of your own motivations and attitude.

It raises the question: How many of the things I emphasize in faith or worship really make no difference? It’s easy for me to point things out in others: Those who assume raised hands are the only accurate indicator of heartfelt worship. Those who think a pipe organ is the only instrument magnificent enough to praise God. Those who believe absence at the evening service indicates a decaying faith. All of these things involve choices that are not specifically addressed in scripture, but we debate them passionately.

But what about my own false beliefs? Which of my best-loved dogmas are actually idol food? Could it be my pride in Kuyperian Calvinism? Could it be my suspicion of charismatic gifts? Could it be my scorn for those who won’t serve on Council?

I think I need to start paying closer attention to those things I speak out for, or against. How many of them would God respond to by saying, “That doesn’t bring you nearer to Me; you are no worse if you don’t do that, and no better if you do.” I think maybe I spend too much time trying to turn gray into black or white.

Paul might say, “Stop haranguing the brothers and sisters. It will give you more time to spend with God.” Because drawing closer to God is the whole point.

No comments:

Post a Comment