Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Slave to all

Strikes me this morning that it takes a lot of self-confidence, or trust, to give up freedom.

That's not our nature. We chafe at restraints. We push boundaries. We resent anything that limits us. We wish we had blank calendars and unlimited bank accounts because then we could do anything we want to.

I know some people who have willingly given up freedoms in pursuit of a higher ideal: our servicemen and women. They volunteer for a life of restrictions because they see the possibility to become better, and to be part of something way bigger than they could ever do on their own.

Paul says in 1 Cor 9:19ff that he has made a similar choice, but for much different reasons. "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible." He describes how he conformed and became like every group he ever tried to minister to: Jews, those under the law (he means followers of the Old Testament law here), those not having the law, the weak . . . in all examples he followed the rules and expectations of the group.

Why? (vv22-23) "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

Hmmm . . . I can think of a time when I skipped church because I didn't like a certain worship leader. I can also think of a time when I said a dissatisfied member should just go find another church. I have also on occasion decided to skip a service project because I don't feel comfortable around those people at the Gospel Mission.

I guess I'd have to say that I struggle even giving up my own preferences, much less a freedom. What if, in order to witness to someone, I had give up TV? What if I actually had to limit myself in some way? Would I do it?

It would be hard -- I'm as jealous of my freedoms as the next guy.

The ultimate question: Am I willing to be a slave to Christ? Am I willing today to do only those things that he wants me to, to only work for his goals? Sadly, many days I can't even claim that.

No comments:

Post a Comment