Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

daily bread

I’ve written before about my interest in the topic of enough. How much food is enough? How much money? How much house, or car, or leisure? There’s a point where too much is bad, but it’s hard to be satisfied with just enough.

That’s why Proverbs 30:8-9 is so thought-provoking to me. It says, “Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord? ' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”

I love the idea of only wanting enough, but I have to admit in the desert I’d have been one of those people who tried to save some manah for the next day. I want a reserve. Sometimes the reserve I want is pretty big.

This proverb clearly points to the dangers, though. If I get so much that it feels secure, will I rely on God’s providence, or think I’ve got it covered? If I don’t really have enough, if I run out tomorrow, what sort of desperate or even illegal thing will I do to try to provide?

The question of enough has some pretty pointed spiritual implications. Do I trust God? Really? Enough to let him worry about my future? Or do I really trust my 401(k) and Roth IRA? Do I think my paycheck is providing for me, or do I still believe in Providence?

It seems a weird pray to pray specifically not to get rich, but that’s what this Proverb recommends. Maybe I have to start praying that way. I think I’ve forgotten a lot of what depending on God really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment