Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, October 17, 2016

advocate

I have the best lawyer in the business. I have a good earthly lawyer, too – my son-in-law brings a servant attitude to his practice and has given us excellent advice and support. But I’m reflecting again on how John describes the Holy Spirit in John 14:26:

“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

This verse reads to me like it is describing three roles, with the first perhaps the most interesting. I normally think of the Spirit in terms of the other two – teaching me the truth about God, and reminding me when I forget what Jesus commands. Counselor and conscience.

But advocate is a word people use in place of attorney – actually counselor is too. An advocate speaks on my behalf, argues my case, represents my interests. 

I get a picture of the Holy Spirit giving me wise advise as I consider my business dealings, my relationships, and the debt I owe to God. I also picture the Spirit reminding God that I’m one of those who were redeemed by Jesus. When I think of the Spirit acting as my lawyer, it’s a different angle than I usually have.

It also gives a little more serious weight to the Spirit’s counsel. Teachers and counselors help us but also encourage us to reflect and come to our own conclusions, but no one with any sense thinks he or she knows better than legal counsel. I might not like what I hear from my lawyer, but I’m not going to argue with it. 

Just like an earthly lawyer, the Holy Spirit knows what will get me in trouble, and the best way to meet my moral obligations. You’d think I’d seek out that kind of advice more frequently than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment