Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

little children

We had three of the grandkids overnight last night, and it was just as much fun as it always is. There was a lot of laughing and a few tears, and some yelling (the kids, not me). Another great memory in the memory bank.

That gave me a little different perspective as I read of an incident in Jesus' life in Luke 18:15-17. "People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'"

When I read this passage before, or heard it preached, I always focused on the innocence of little children, or the relative weakness that children have that makes them have to look to others for help. My take-away has always been not to lose that sense of being completely dependent on God.

But this morning I realize something else: children the age of my grandkids never doubt for a second that we love them. In fact, if they were pressed to describe what love is, I'm sure their yardstick would be parents and grandparents. They know with total certainty that there are no conditions on the love we have for them.

I wonder if that may have been in Jesus' mind along with the dependence thing when he said what he did. After all, love is so much a part of God's character that the Bible says God is love. When we see love anywhere in our world, it's simply an imperfect reflection of the love God has for all of his creation. For that reason, I have every reason to be as confident in God's love for me as a toddler is in the love of his grandma.

When toddlers feel loved like that, they find comfort on Dad's lap even as he disciplines. The safe haven they seek when hurt or scared is Mom's arms. They admit with few qualms to grandma that they did, indeed, get into the snack cupboard. 

Do I really feel loved by God like that? I'm not sure. I want to say yes, but I have all these grown-up feelings and this so-called mature tendency toward self-reliance. I may even wonder sometimes why certain things happen if God has my good at heart. 

No wonder Jesus reminds me to just take what God wants to give with the ready trust and full confidence of a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment