Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, November 21, 2016

submit

 “Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.” 1 Peter 2 13-17

It’s worthwhile to note that at the time Peter wrote this to the Christian churches, pretty much  all of them were under Roman rule. They lived under the boot of an occupying power that they longed to be free of. They had plenty of reasons to think their emperor, as well as Caesar, were illegitimate rulers. They had all kinds of reasons to resist.

Yet Peter tells them to submit to every human authority. Actually, he lays out four different relationship guidelines: respect everyone, love believers, fear God, and honor the emperor. So this admonishment is not just a matter of respecting the office but feeling free to trash-talk the person. We’re called to honor them. 

I think this is going to be hard for a while. There are some leaders in my denomination whose motives I question. I wonder sometimes if some of my managers at work are mailing it in.  There is a newly-elected state representative that didn’t impress me much during the campaign. And, of course, there’s national politics. 

So how do I do this? How do I honor people I think are amoral, or power-hungry, or out of touch, or bought and paid for? 

I think the how is closely linked to the why: that by doing good I should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. We can do that by living as free people, meaning that we recognize that now that we’re free of sin’s bondage, no leader can enslave us again. 

God’s people should be above reproach. We shouldn’t give either side cause to point fingers, and we do that by following that simple set of four guidelines: respect everyone, love believers, fear God, and honor our leaders. 

I can see what’s expected of me. I’m going to need a lot of help to do it. Another thing to pray about.

No comments:

Post a Comment