Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

watching

I wonder if I would do any better than the Pharisees and Saducees when it comes to being ready for Jesus to come. They pretty much blew it; they weren’t looking for Jesus, despite the prophesies, and when told by the Magi that he had been born, they didn’t bother to look for him themselves. 

Other than Jesus’ statement that he will return, I don’t have the helpful indicators of prophesy to help me. In fact, Jesus says I should expect to be taken by surprise:  “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.” Matt 24:36-42.

In defense of the Jewish religious leaders, the prophets had been silent for four centuries. It would have been easy to grow complacent, to move from wondering if he would ever come to that place where you just really don’t think it will happen any more. With a few minor exceptions, it seems most of the Jews felt that way.

On the other hand, even with scripture to remind me and faithful pastors to call me to be attentive, it would be easy for me to start thinking the same way. After all, Jesus last spoke on the subject a couple of centuries ago. What would make me think that his thief-in-the-night return is coming in my lifetime?

So if Jesus does come soon, will I do any better than the Pharisees and Saducees did at that first Advent? I want to; it would be worth taking some time to think about what might have to change to make that true.

No comments:

Post a Comment