Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

bad behavior

Sometimes when I read the Bible it seems rich with meaning for my life. Other times, less so. This morning was one of those other times. 

In Genesis 33 and 34 I continued on with the story of Jacob, considered one of the patriarchs of God’s people. Jacob is probably my least favorite patriarch, and these two chapters are an example of why. First, he meets brother Esau, lies to him about getting together later, and then runs away.

That worked out poorly – a young man of the town where Jacob settles molests his daughter. Two sons commit pre-meditated mass murder. And Jacob responds this way, in Genesis 34:30: “Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, ‘You have brought trouble on me by making me obnoxious to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against me and attack me, I and my household will be destroyed.’”

That’s what I always think about Jacob – he’s obnoxious. His lying, manipulative approach to relationships constantly gets him in trouble. It’s no wonder his sons are hot-headed and vengeful. Where in scripture is the example of their father dealing honestly and forthrightly with people?

It’s hard for me to pull out the word for my own life here, other than the obvious one that when you behave like Jacob does your life probably isn’t going to be easy.

But then, often my life hasn’t been easy because I lied to someone or tried to manipulate a relationship. Am I judging Jacob but excusing myself for the same behavior? That’s a thing that behavioral scientists call the Fundamental Attribution Error, this idea that my bad behaviors are forced on me by circumstances but other people do the same bad things because they’re bad. 

Jacob’s entire story is one of grace by God for a person who didn’t earn any of it. God didn’t give Jacob an easy life, but he walked with Jacob through every step of it. And he worked out his plan and kept his promise to make Jacob’s sons into a great nation. 

I find that immensely comforting. I can mess up as badly as Jacob and his sons – and I do – but that doesn’t mean God will leave me. Christ’s blood is sufficient, and God’s love never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment