Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, January 27, 2017

no worries

It struck me this morning what a great blessing Joseph was to people who weren’t followers of Jehovah. Eventually, of course, Joseph would save untold numbers of Egyptians from starvation, but look at his first couple of years in Egypt, related in Genesis 39.

“From the time he put him in charge of his household and of all that he owned, the Lord blessed the household of the Egyptian because of Joseph. The blessing of the Lord was on everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in the field. 6 So Potiphar left everything he had in Joseph's care; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate.” (Verses 5-6)

That passage describes Joseph’s life with the man who bought him from the Ishmaelite slave traders. Despite the way he prospered with Joseph, Potiphar ended up sending him to prison. There, the same thing happened.

“So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there. 23 The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph's care, because the Lord was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.” (Verses 22-23).

I want to be a Christian like that. I want to walk so close to God, and to be so close to the heart of his work here on earth, that God’s care-taking of me overflows into blessings on any unbeliever fortunate to be nearby. 

Can you imagine a better witness? What if my boss’s life got easier and better because I faithfully followed Jesus? What if the company was more profitable and the employees safe and healthier and more financially stable? What if in the process of living every day for God, he blesses my work not so that I benefit, but so those around me are blessed?

It seems not only like a good witness, but also like the best possible way to serve God and other people. I get it that God doesn’t work with and through everyone like he did through Joseph. I also think that I should work for God as though I might be someone that he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment