Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

ask

Deuteronomy 4:32 Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created human beings on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of?

That was Moses’ charge to the people, who would enter the Promised Land without him. He said this to help the Israelites remain faithful to God; he knew that if they remembered all God had done, they would have the confidence to continue to follow.

This morning, I think that’s great advice. If I were trying to convince a skeptical seeker, or help a doubting child, I would say along with Moses, “Ask!” Just let me tell you about my great God, and all the truly amazing things he’s done for his people.

So when I doubt the value of who I am and what I contribute, or when I wonder if God really has a plan for me, or when life comes at me so fast I waver in my confidence, I should also ask. I should query scripture and my memory and my faithful friends about this same God.

Because when I hear the stories of creation and flood, of plague and deliverance, of arks and bronze snakes and manna and great big fishes, I’m always awed once again. Even more, when I read of water turned to wine and dead men brought to life, of crucifixion and resurrection, of ascension and my sanctification, I’m brought to my knees. What a God! What a Savior!

So, fellow believer, ask with me of the former days, long before our time, from the day God created mankind. Has anything so great as this ever happened? I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment