Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, March 20, 2017

left or right

There’s a reason, I think, that Christians are called children of God. It’s because we don’t follow very well, and are frequently distracted.

Maybe that isn’t really why, but it’s a thought I had while reading Joshua 1. Joshua has a new job, leading the people, and here’s part of his initial marching orders, in verse 7. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.”

For whatever reason, the image that immediately jumped into my mind was one of trying to get my kids to leave the Sioux Falls Zoo. Unlike the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, which is so big the kids were always worn out when it was time to go, the Sioux Falls Zoo is a more kid-appropriate size. So the short back walk to the front gate took forever, with dozen of side trips to check out the new thing the monkeys were doing, or to see the big gator that got in the water. There were many, many trips both to the left and the right.

Too often, I think, my faith life is like that. God has the right path pretty clearly marked out, but instead of looking down it as far as I can see, I’m always checking out the scenery on both sides.  I’m looking at the big old world, not toward heaven. And I leave the path a lot, on both sides.

That’s what God warned Joshua of, and it sounds restrictive when I read it. God’s law seems restrictive. That’s why we make all those left-and-right trips. It’s also why I’m not as successful as I should be in my faith. The way is lined with the spiritual equivalent of outlet malls and amusement parks, non-productive fun that keeps me from moving down the road. What looks restrictive is actually just good focus.

It’s a great reminder for today, and every day. If I want to ever be holy, I have to keep my focus. I have to know the path, watch for the markers, and ignore the tempting things on either side, or I’ never going to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment