Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

on trial for hope

As Paul was making his defense in front of the Roman officials in Syria, his statement was a concise summary of what it was that killed Jesus.

Acts 26:4-7 quotes Paul this way: “The Jewish people all know the way I have lived ever since I was a child, from the beginning of my life in my own country, and also in Jerusalem. They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee. And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our ancestors that I am on trial today. This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night.”

Paul’s argument was that he was being persecuted for believing in God. Specifically, for taking the promises of the Old Testament seriously, and for recognizing their fulfillment in Jesus. Literally, Paul says, I’m being tried for my hope and my faith.

The Jews didn’t want Jesus as Messiah. They had a completely different thing in mind, and because he didn’t meet the requirements of their plans, they ignored the prophecies, killed Jesus, and worked fervently to kill the baby church too.

I read in this a warning that my plans may not be for the right things – any human plan can be wrong. Only what God wants is truly good. Only what I do in pursuit of God’s plans is truly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment