Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

without hindrance

Acts 28:30-31: “For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him. He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance!”

That’s how the book of Acts ends. It’s remarkable, isn’t it? Although under house arrest, Paul could see anyone who would visit, and he continued to evangelize right to the end. And he did it without hindrance – really for the first time in his ministry. Even the Jews in the city who didn’t believe him still left him alone. It’s quite a contrast from all the other Jews in so many other cities who made trouble for him, most notably in Jerusalem.

It saddens me that the biggest enemy of the early church was the very group who, right up until Jesus came, were God’s people. It saddens me that so many couldn’t overcome their skepticism that God would fulfill his promises this way. Preconceived notions are hard to give up, especially when you’ve committed your life to ensuring that everyone else follows them.

I think there’s a reminder for the church here, and for all of us currently in it. It isn’t our place to decide how God will work or who he will include. Jesus brought in lepers and tax collectors and whores. His disciples went to the Samaritans and Gentiles. The cream of Jewish religious society, the ones who dug in and defended themselves, were left behind.

That’s my take-away this morning: if I’m not following God where he’s working, I’m on my own, no matter how much I want to believe I’m doing his will.

No comments:

Post a Comment