Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, August 9, 2018

fighting God

Some scary advice this morning from Acts 5. Peter and John were arrested for evangelizing, broken out of jail by an angel, caught back in the temple, and on trial. A wise elder called for a recess and advised his fellow accusers this way, from verses 38-39: 

“Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.”

It’s good advice, and it makes me think of all the times I’ve pushed back on someone who was trying to serve the way I wouldn’t. You know what I’m talking about: those people who want to stretch us too far in worship, or risk too much in outreach. The ones who want to practice the most radical kind of spiritual ministries. The ones who just don’t seem to show much common sense, who just aren’t practical, who don’t seem to understand all the possible bad outcomes.

But here’s the thing: what if they’re right? What if that is really what God wants us to do?

As this man advised, misguided human efforts are doomed to collapse under their own weight. But God-directed activity will happen whether I oppose it or support it. 

There have been times when good people have left our church because they were frustrated by the slow pace of ministry. There have been times when good people at work have given up and gone along with the culture because they didn’t get the support they needed.

In any of those cases, was I in the position of opposing God? Did I fail a test? Did that Spirit-directed ministry plant and flourish somewhere else, to the detriment of my organizations?

I hope not. But it makes me want some do-overs.

This morning I wonder if there isn’t less risk in being bold with our ministries and willingly throwing our support to all of the things that good Christ-followers want to try. After all, the price of being wrong could be fighting God himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment