Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, August 27, 2018

repent


Is it possible that we Christians, even life-long ones like me, have forgotten one of the most basic parts of our calling?
When Paul was teaching the Athenians about the unknown god to whom they’d already built an idol, this was part of his explanation, from Acts 17:29-32: “‘Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.’”
That’s the first part of the call we all received, to repent of putting other things before God. Of seeking our comfort other places than God. Of finding happiness in other persons than God and other activities than holy ones. Of putting our hope for the future in securities that aren’t nearly as secure as God.
Because what God really calls us to is a relationship with him, this call to repentance is one of the first messages all new believers receive. It was John the Baptist’s means of preparing the people for the coming of the Messiah, and it was a key message of the apostles and the early church. So Paul calls for it here, as part of his evangelistic message. But I think it takes a lot of attention to keep from sliding away from that initial repentance as we settle into a comfortable faith.
I’m convicted this morning to consider all the ways I’ve slipped from repentance. Although I’m daily in the word and weekly in church (how’s that for some mature Christian jargon?) I can’t claim that God is my only, or even in some cases my primary, source of comfort, happiness and security. When I think of the things I turn to after a hard day, or to celebrate, I wonder. When I consider my careful planning for retirement, I wonder again. There isn’t very much sinful activity in my life anymore, but I think I need to repent of some sinful attitudes and ideas.
Today I’m starting a list, and I’m going to mark each time I forget that all of my joy and hope comes from God. I’m going to jot myself a little note for each time I thought something else was the answer. I’m really curious to see what the list looks like at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment