Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, November 26, 2018

all glory

Jude is one of those books I hardly ever read. It’s a hard letter, very negative, all about sin. This morning I was drawn to the the final lines, in verses 24 and 25: “To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.”

I was attracted to the idea that Jesus would keep me from stumbling and present me to God one day. That’s comforting. But as I re-read those verses, I realized that they pointed me to my own sin.

Here’s my problem: I want glory and power and authority for myself. I wonder this morning, as often as I’ve read or prayed or sung words giving these things to God, how often I’ve meant it completely.

How do I reconcile giving all glory to God with my thirst for praise from other people? And if I really want him to have the power and authority, why do I so often resent his leadership?

This morning these words seem a direct challenge to my desire to control my own life. They’re a call to humility and servanthood when I want to be the hotshot business executive who made it to the top of the ladder. 

“To the only God our savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.” Today I’m praying for strength to live as though I really mean those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment