Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

spotless

It’s been a long time since I was a cadet (officer in training, not Calvinist Cadet Corps, which was even longer). I was reminded just how long recently when I listened to a young former officer talk on one of the news networks. This young man obviously went through a different training regimen than I did.

When I went through, personal honor was a big deal. Right was right and wrong was wrong, situational ethics were not a thing, and officers were expected to do the right thing. “An officer does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do.” The military code of honor and your personal code of honor defined who you were, and officers routinely did hard things to ensure there wasn’t the hint of a blot on their honor. 

I don’t think I have to explain why this way of training and thinking makes me feel old. We’re in a different world now.

We shouldn’t be, but not because of out-dated notions of military honor. 2 Peter 3:14 says, “So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.”

The “this” that Peter explains we’re looking forward to is the culmination of our salvation in heaven. But his expectation is the same as my tac officers all those years ago: not a spot on my name. Blameless behavior. Not because my own name is so important, but because I bear the name of Jesus. 

God’s standards are higher than any expectation I faced as a cadet, yet I’m far less concerned about an occasional smudge on my Christian honor. I care enough not to let others see them, but I know God can tell. I need to think about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment