Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

God with us

I want to be eager for heaven, but instead sometimes I find myself anxious. 

Here’s one of the reasons why, in Revelation 21:3-4: “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death” or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’”

I know I’m supposed to be excited for the time that God shares the streets of the same town I live in. I know that will be the most glorious thing, far beyond what I can image. But in some deep seated way, I’m afraid of God. I know all the things I do that he hates, and I know how much I still like some of those things. In some ways, God is more comfortable when he’s far away.

Except he isn’t. Here on earth I can make believe God’s a long way off, but even while I pretend, in reality he’s right next to me. In fact, that’s one of the names the prophets used to foretell the coming of Jesus: Immanuel, God with Us. It’s the name of my church. 

So it doesn’t make sense for me to fear God in heaven and be complacent about God on earth. He’s just as close either way, and he’s the same God with the same expectations. And the same love. If he promises nor more tears, mourning or pain, it’s because that’s what he longs to give me.

Even now, even knowing me more intimately than I know myself. Even with all that, he loves me more than I’ll ever understand. Which makes me eager for heaven, and a lot less anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment