Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

justice

There’s nothing fair about life. Tragedies strike randomly, often against people who seem to deserve it least. Some families have repeated health issues while others seem to live trouble-free. Worst of all, men and women who ignore God and live it up seem to have better lives. In fact, they often use their positions and wealth to persecute Christians. It doesn’t seem right.

This morning, I’m reminded that God takes a long view of justice. For his own purposes, he allows the wicked to do well for a time. But John’s vision of the end shows us this, from Revelation 17:5-7 
“Then I heard the angel in charge of the waters say:
“You are just in these judgments, O Holy One,
you who are and who were;
for they have shed the blood of your holy people and your prophets,
and you have given them blood to drink as they deserve.”
And I heard the altar respond:
“Yes, Lord God Almighty,
true and just are your judgments.”

As God pours out plagues of blood and pestilence on the followers of the beast, the angels and the very altar before the throne proclaim “Justice!” All the horrors of God’s judgment will land on the ones who tormented his followers. Things will be put right.

No matter what happens, the God of Providence, who meets my daily needs, is also the God of Justice. That means I don’t have to concern myself with whether I’m being treated fairly, by people or by life. I do have to make sure I’m not a hardship for someone else; I don’t want to be on the dispensing end of God’s justice. Justice for others is very much in my lane, but I don’t have to rail against fate.

For a time, evil will seem to dominate. But in God’s time, things will be put right.

No comments:

Post a Comment