Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, February 8, 2018

set apart

No profound thoughts this morning, just a much needed and sobering reminder from the Apostle Paul, found in his greeting started in Romans 1:1: “Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God . . . .”

I’ve often wished to be more like Paul. Was there a man more effective in spreading the Gospel. Was there anyone more responsible for winning souls to Christ, and for enabling disciples to live faithfully? Maybe not. I’d like to be like that.

Paul doesn’t make any secret of his success, but the truth is I shrink from his method. I want to serve, but do I really want to be set apart for service? For that to be the sum of who I am and what I do?

Could I, like Paul, work long hard days for the sole purpose of funding ministry in a way that puts no burden on those I serve? Afterward, could I give my evenings freely to teaching and prayer, and my weekends to evangelizing?

Of course I could. But I don’t.

But I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment