Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Doxology

When I read the doxology at the end of Romans, which I did this morning, I wish we did more of that. A doxology is simply a way to wrap things up by praising God.

Paul wrote (16:25-27) "Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen."

You see here a simple form for praising God: statements about who He is (him who is able to strengthen you, the only wise God) and about what he has done (the revelation of the mystery, made known to all the nations) and about effects (to bring about the obedience of faith) and then a statement giving God the glory.

Wouldn't that be kind of cool? "I praise the God of providence, who controls all people and things and has provided in the past, for the good week of business I just had." "I thank Jesus, the Lord of the universe who calmed the storm on the lake, for keeping us safe through the tornado." "I give all the credit for how well that meeting went to the Holy Spirit, the wise counselor who helps me understand what God wants from me."

We do that sometimes in our prayers, but think what it would be like if we did it in a way that other people knew.

I have a friend who, whenever he sees something beautiful in nature, says "What an Artist!" Maybe that's easy and safe enough to be a place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment