Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Stumbling blocks

OK, my issue with yesterday's devotions just got worse.

Yesterday I was struggling with the idea that somehow my own opinions could make something right or wrong. Today, Paul says in a Romans 14 that I need to decided what to do based on the opinion of others.

I don't want to do that; I figure between me and God we have things covered. But look at these verses: "20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. 21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble."

So I might be fine eating meat, or even having beer with my bratwurst, but if some legalist thinks I shouldn't, then I can't? How is that fair? Paul, just yesterday you told me as long as I was convinced, it was OK?

Maybe the point is that, even though it's OK, if I love my brother then I'm going to put his salvation ahead of my pleasure. Maybe he's trying to live right, but he maybe earnestly believes that brats are evil and I should only drink the beer. Then he sees me wolfing down those brats and, since he looks up to me so much, now he doesn't know what to do - obey God or be cool like me.

Maybe the bigger point is, there's the basic level of obedience that says don't do anything wrong. But there's the richer obedience of putting your own wishes lower on the priority list than helping others. The second one brings God more glory than the first, if you do it in His name.

Again, seems like the reasons matter more than what I actually do. Sigh . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment