Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Knowing nothing

Paul really challenges me this morning when he explains his gospel-spreading tactics to the Corinthians (2:2): "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." Makes me think of Sergeant Schultz.

I can think of a couple of times when I acted like I didn't know anything, but my motives weren't very good. I was trying either to avoid getting stuck with a job, or to avoid the consequences of my own stupidity.

To the best of my recollection, I have never consciously passed up a chance to look smart. Instead of knowing nothing, I usually try to look like I know everything. 

Remember, Paul was smart. Paul had his day's equivalent of a doctorate in religion. Paul had leadership experience in the church, which was the same as having it in government. Paul had a lot of reasons to say, "Hey, based on my knowledge of this and my experience with that, I'm here to tell you . . ."

That's what we do, isn't it? And it's what we expect from others. Before we listen, don't we ask ourselves, "Who is this guy to talk? What does he know? What's he ever done?" We want credentials.

I bought a bottle of cleaner from some kid from Georgia who was going door to door. Normally I don't do that, because there's no accountability for those people; how can I trust them? But this kid, when I started to brush him off, said, "Can you just watch this?" Then he cleaned an oil spot off the floor of my garage. So I bought the stuff.

That's what Paul did. He says he came in weakness and fear, and instead of using persuasion, he gave demonstrations of the Spirit and of power (v4). His reason: so that our faith wouldn't be in Paul -- "Well, he's a smart guy and he believes it." -- but in the power of God. That's the same reason I bought the cleaner; I didn't believe in the kid who sold it, I believed in the product because I'd seen it work.

That suggests the best way to persuade others of the Gospel is for them to see it working on us. They need to see us being better because of it. Hmmmm . . . maybe that's what being distinctive is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment