Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, August 29, 2016

discerning

Sometimes it takes me a long time to understand. Oh, I'm American, steeped daily in the culture of snark, so I often point out that others don't get it. But in truth, I sometimes get too bound up in my own sense of rightness to catch on.

This morning, I'm wondering if that's true about faith, and life, and a life of faith. In Hosea 14:9 I read, "Who is wise? Let them realize these things. Who is discerning? Let them understand. The ways of the Lord are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them."

The ways of the Lord are right, whether I realize it or not. The difference is, am I walking or stumbling through life?

The wise, discerning ones make their way more easily because for them the ways of the Lord are a broad, smooth, well-lit pathway with clearly marked stairs and turns. The ones who don't get it - me? - can stumble around because they don't see the steps, they miss the turns, they wander off the edge.

I like to think I'm wise and discerning, that I get it about obedience. But then I have to wonder about all the days that go so hard, when I stumble along and mess it up more than I get it right. If I'm so smart, how come I make life such a trial with my own willfulness?

As I think it through, this verse almost looks like it describes two separate steps. The first one, realizing that God's ways are right, comes from being wise. Maybe I can claim some small measure of wisdom, then, because I know good and well that God's way is the best way.

The second step is understanding. That comes from discernment. It's similar to realizing, but to me there's connotation of additional meaning. It implies that I will also see why. I'll make the links between obedience and blessing, between ignorance and unhappiness. Whereas realization will make me know I should follow God's ways, understanding should make me want to.

It feels to me like the second step is the one I struggle with. I have a discernment problem; even knowing the truth, I see this world as my home, and getting along in this world as my purpose and even my desire. Rather than seeing today through the lens of my eternity, I live today for today, or maybe tomorrow, or maybe I'm living for the weekend. 

I need a daily habit that makes me lift my eyes from the right now and right here of my life to the grand vista of the global reach and eternal reality of God's kingdom. Maybe prayer would be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment