Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

no prophesies

There's a trend on social media lately to do a lot with a few words. Hashtags like #6wordlovestory challenge people to pack as much emotion or drama as they can into a small handful of syllables.

I thought of that this morning, when I read a tragedy in two verses. They were Amos 2:11-12 "'I also raised up prophets from among your children and Nazirites from among your youths. Is this not true, people of Israel?' declares the Lord. 'But you made the Nazirites drink wine and commanded the prophets not to prophesy.'"

Not even forty words. About 20 seconds is all I need to read it. And in that short span is the entire history of God repeatedly reaching out to his people, only to be spurned over and over again.

It seems to me that there are three elements of human nature captured in these verses. Our tendency to stray from God and cause him to chase after us is what started the whole mess in the first place.

Then, at the end, God notes that his prophets were commanded not to prophesy. That sounds a lot like, "I don't want to hear it," which is something I think a lot. When someone talks to me about my health, or gives me good advice about money, or tries to convince me to support a candidate, I react out of my own sense of rightness. I reject him (or her). I want him and his guilt-producing, change-requiring truths to just leave me alone. Even more so when a brother or sister tries to get me to see my own sin.

But perhaps worst, at least in my worldly point of view, is that horrible trait of ours that is reflected in the sin of making the Nazirites drink wine. The Nazirites vowed not to consume alcohol for as long as they served the Lord. Isn't it just typical that there are some people who wanted to corrupt them, to drag those holy ones down to their own pagan level?

I don't think I'd do that, but I confess some satisfaction when I find out that some elder or pastor or other spiritual role model has dabbled in a sin I struggle with. It makes it seem less bad, somehow.

I'm resolved after reading this tragedy in 39 words not to do that to God. He deserves my allegiance and obedience and love. May I never be the one who tells his voice, in whatever form it comes to me, to be quiet. Even more, may I never, ever be a voice of temptation to anyone trying to serve him.

No comments:

Post a Comment