Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

honest answer

I’ve been observing Easter all of my life, for as long as I can remember. I’ve used the scriptures to walk with Jesus through Holy Week more times than I can imagine. After all that, it still boggles my mind that Jesus was tried and executed for, well, being himself.

Look at Matthew 26:63-64: “The high priest said to him, ‘I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.’
‘You have said so,’ Jesus replied. ‘But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.’”

Isn’t it astounding? Jesus makes one of the most beautiful statements –“You will see me seated at God’s right hand, coming to set everything right in the world” – as an honest answer to the question, “Are you the Messiah.” Of course he is. Asked and answered.

And for that hope-giving answer, which enraged the religious establishment of his day, Jesus was humiliated, tormented, and killed. Jesus was killed for being the only thing that could save me.

But then, Jesus being killed was the only thing that could save me. The horror of Jesus ordeal was the final master stroke against Satan.

Holy Week never fails to touch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment