Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, April 28, 2017

stories

Remember Paul Harvey? “And now you know . . . the rest of the story.” I think of him every time I finish reading through the Gospel of John.

Here’s how John ends, in John 21:25 “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” It always makes me wish more of them had been written down.

I imagine a whole shelf full of books about Jesus life, and everything he experienced, and all the things he did. And, more importantly, all the things he said. I can’t imagine what all those other things are, but I want to know.

The fact is, I know everything about Jesus I need to know. I could have a library full of more eyewitness accounts, but they wouldn’t add a single word that would increase my chances of salvation, or improve my work toward my sanctification. The revelation of God as found in scripture is complete; it contains everything God wants me to know about him. And everything I need to know to live right.

So it’s enough for now to know that Jesus did a lot more than we know about. Some day maybe I’ll know more. More likely, I’ll meet Jesus face to face and I won’t care anymore. Just being with him will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment