Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, April 10, 2017

sign of Jonah

I think I’m not unlike most people in that I have sometimes wished God would give me a hint about what I should do. That’s human nature, I think; we hate uncertainty.

So I might get why the Jewish leaders would ask Jesus for a sign, except they did it as a trap. Here’s the passage, in Matthew 16: 1-4 “The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven. He replied, ‘When evening comes, you say, “It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,” and in the morning, “Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.” You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.’ Jesus then left them and went away.”

These days, that would be considered an awesome burn. First, Jesus says the sign they ask for should be as obvious as the signs of tomorrow’s weather they read in the sky, but they’re too clueless to sit it. Second, he calls them a wicked and adulterous generation.

And then, in effect, he says he’s already given them their sign. It’s like a parent saying to a child, “I’m not telling you again.” Generations ago, God sent Jonah to another wicked and adulterous people telling them to repent or burn – the same message John the Bapist brought to these Jews not too long ago.

I wonder over the ages how often God has given that same message, has called his people to repent?

This sign of Jonah came with two other signs: a storm and a big fish that meant “You can’t run or hide,” and a worm-eaten shade bush that said, “I will decide who lives and dies, according to my values and not yours.”

Take it all together and this reference to Jonah says one thing to me: Like everyone, I have to face God, hear his message, and either get with the program or prepare for an unhappy end.

I think I’m doing better at the moment than Pharisees, but that doesn’t mean I can take God’s grace for granted. Especially in this Holy Week, when I’m reminded of what it cost Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment