Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

kindess

Today is the day we celebrate our most patriotic holiday.Yesterday was last day of our family vacation. After leaving the beautiful house we stayed in, we spent some time at the WWI museum before heading home. It was a fitting way to prepare for the July Fourth holiday, reminding myself of the cost of nationhood.

When I’m at museums like that, I always look for those instances of compassion and kindness, because to me they are a glimpse of God’s image pushing through all that is negative about war. In WWI, I know of the case where both sides joined together to sing Silent Night at Christmas. I know of a time when both sides came out of their trenches to play soccer. In both cases they offered treats and cigarettes, and show pictures of their families. Kindness, completely out of context.

I’m thinking about kindness this morning because I read the story of David befriending Mephibosheth. That story starts this way, in 2 Samuel 9:1: “David asked, ‘Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?’”

Kindness for Jonathan’s sake. Kindness to an unloveable man because of his gratitude to his best friend. It made me wonder who I might be that thankful to, who I might care about that much. Who has been that good to me?

The answer, obviously, is Jesus. So I find myself challenged this morning to show kindness to those unpleasant people who deserve it only because they are image-bearers of God, creations of the one I owe so much. Which, I guess, is the only reason I deserve kindness either.

German and British and American young men found it in their hearts to share smokes and candy bars with people they should have hated. David gave generously to one of the family who had would continue to plot against him. Surely, then, I can find a way to show God’s love to anyone I encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment