Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

seven years

2 Kings 6:37-38: “The foundation of the temple of the Lord was laid in the fourth year, in the month of Ziv. In the eleventh year in the month of Bul, the eighth month, the temple was finished in all its details according to its specifications. He had spent seven years building it.”

I, with a lot of help, just finished building a deck. It took a little less than three months, but it seemed longer than that. Last year, when I built the shed, it was the same story. A few months of project seemed to stretch out for half the year.

I admire people like Solomon who can keep at something for years and years. I know he didn’t personally do the work, but he had the foresight and commitment to plan this massive project and see it through.

There aren’t very many things I’ve ever given more than seven years to. I was in the Guard for 25 years, and have worked for my current employer about as long. I’ve been married to Dawn for more than 35 years, and have been a member of my current church for maybe 27 or 28 years. For about 20 years I had kids in my house; I’d like to say I helped raise them but I think Dawn did a lot more of it than I did.

But those are the kind of things that happen when you build a life with someone. Those things were part of my worldly journey. Have I ever given God so much?

Well, I’ve been preaching for ten years now, but part-time. This blog has been a thing for maybe 5 years, although I can only claim to have done it faithfully for a couple. Other than that, the only long-term “project” I’ve worked on for God has been my own spiritual journey, my holiness.

I’ve been trying to be a better disciple all my life, but I have to admit those efforts have been sporadic. There were times I didn’t care that much about it, and one notable period when I railed against God because his restrictions seemed to be limiting me too much. But still, I’ve put a lot of time into becoming a better Christ-follower.

Maybe I can take a little satisfaction into the commitment I’ve given my personal temple to God. But I’m a long way from finished. And maybe I shouldn’t count that as service to God; after all, who benefits more than me?

No comments:

Post a Comment