Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

wisdom and wealth

1 Kings 10:23-25: “King Solomon was greater in riches and wisdom than all the other kings of the earth. The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart. Year after year, everyone who came brought a gift —articles of silver and gold, robes, weapons and spices, and horses and mules.”

There’s something here I didn’t realize before: God, at least in part, used his gift of wisdom to also bring riches to Solomon. It was Solomon’s wisdom that drew the world to him, and their desire to repay him in some way that led them to bring gifts. Solomon’s wisdom brought him articles of silver and gold, robes, weapons and spices, and horses a mules.

It seems such direct application of the truth that in following God we gain everything we need. Not all of us get riches, but we don’t really need riches, we just think we do. But we get enough; God in his providence always sees to it that we have access to food and people and shelter. And he also ensures we have enough challenge to actually have faith, because without trouble what need would there be for faith?

I’m encouraged in my trust in God’s providence. I wonder what would happen if I spent most of the time I focus on providing for myself on working for him instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment