Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, February 23, 2018

debt

I’m a debt-averse person. I’ve made decisions that smart money people think are foolish just to avoid debt - for example, I took only about 60% of what the bank was willing to loan me for a mortgage even though the rates were extremely low. I just don’t like owing people.

Paul seems to agree with me, but he goes beyond just the money. Here’s what he said in Romans 13:7-8: “Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.” There are a lot of kinds of debt, Paul says. Pay all of them. Pay the money you owe, but pay your emotional and relational debts as well.

However, there is one debt Paul says I don’t have to worry about. Look at this from verse 8: “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.”

The fact is, that’s a debt I can’t ever pay off, because what I owe is measured by what I’ve been given. I’ve been given perfect love by the only perfect lover, God. I’ve been given love so immense that it willingly gave all its children for me. I’ve been given love that is new every day and fresh for every new sin or trial. The love I receive is infinite.

Therefore, I owe infinite love. If I love every person I ever meet every day for the rest of my life, I will only begin to love as much as God has loved me.

One thing about that kind of debt, though, is it’s not hard to figure out. Love everyone always. Simple, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment