Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, February 2, 2018

keep watch

One of the most chilling passages in all of the Bible is, to me, the story of the ten virgins. You probably remember it - they all fell asleep while waiting for the groom to show up for a wedding party. When he came, half were unprepared and their lamps were out of oil.

Here’s the scary part, from Matthew 25:10-13: ““But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
“Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’
“But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’
“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.”

This is a parable about the second coming of Jesus, and it scares the willies out of me. It reminds me that I’m not keeping watch. Too many days my eyes are looking down, focused on life here on earth. My purpose too often is on my life here.

Oh, I try to have devotions daily, and to spend time in reflection. But I struggle to leave behind my besetting sins, and often I hinder rather than help my brothers and sisters. Napping while my lamp burns out seems too accurate a picture of some of my days.

What if Jesus comes on one of those days? Am I really ready? No, of course I’m not - I never could be, on my own. By by God’s grace, when Jesus comes he’ll open the door for me. Not because I was a faithful watcher, but because he is a faithful savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment