Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

root and branch

God doesn’t need me.

I know that, but sometimes I forget. Sometimes I think it’s up to me to save our church. Sometimes I think other Christians should be more aware of how good I am, and the great things I’m doing. Sometimes I feel like my ministry is the most important one. Often, I lose my humility.

But here’s something Paul wrote, in Romans 11:17-18: “If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.”

God doesn’t need me. I don’t support the root; I’m just a branch.

But I am a branch. I am one of those wild olive shoots, those Gentiles, that God called into his church. He picked me out, he grafted me on. God doesn’t need me, but he wants me.

It’s a better perspective. I’m desired by God, but nothing really depends on me. I’m loved by God, but not for anything I can do for him. On my bad days, what could be better than a God who supports me knowing full well who I am?

And on my good days, what could be more inspiring and energizing that the gratitude I feel toward a God who supports me knowing full well who I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment