Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

poured out

I love those parts of scripture that show Paul’s human side, because most of the time he makes me feel inadequate, and often I’m in awe of him. Today, it’s that last one.

Look at this casual comment thrown in at the end of his second letter to Timothy, recorded in 2 Timothy 4:6: “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near.”

Two things strike me about this. First, it’s true. Paul spent his entire self on mission and ministry. All of his dreams, his career, his standing with his peers, his life and health and freedom, all were consumed by his passion for the great good news. “Poured out” is an appropriate word picture for what Paul did as he followed Jesus. 

The other thing is, he’s fine with it. He doesn’t rail against it. In fact, I imagine a little satisfaction in this verse, and the ones following where he says he’s run a good race. In Paul’s mind, it’s fitting that everything about his life became an offering to his Lord.

See what I mean? How can I hope to measure up to a man like that? I hold so much of myself back; I want too much of life for myself. I would resent being poured out, everything of worth in me dumped onto the thirsty ground. 

But that’s where the greatest blessing is. Following Jesus, being used up in his service, is exactly what I was made for. It’s the only thing that can truly give me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment