Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

the basis of love

Paul could sure expect a lot of people. For example, look at his request written to Philemon, in verses 8-11: “. . . although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love. It is as none other than Paul—an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus— that I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.”

The rest of this letter tells us Onesimus was a runaway slave, and Philemon was his owner. When Onesimus took off, it cost Philemon a lot of money, and Philemon was fully in his rights not only to want his property back, but to discipline Onesimus as well. In the rest of his letter, though, Paul makes clear his expectation that Philemon will welcome Onesimus back not as a servant, but as a free brother.

That’s a lot to expect.

But look how Paul starts the letter, beginning in verse 4: “I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus. I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.”

Paul knew that he wasn’t expecting more than Philemon could or would do. Philemon had gotten to know Jesus. Philemon was now a Christian, dedicating himself to refreshing the hearts of fellow believers and opening his house up for worship services. Philemon was exactly the kind of guy who would treat former property as a brother in Christ.

How can that be? Because the love of Jesus changes us. It fills us and spills out on other people, even people we used to disdain. So Paul bases his appeal in love, knowing that Philemon would respond out of his gratitude for the love Jesus showed him.

“They’ll know we are Christians by our love” are lyrics in an old praise song, a very apt one. Before our bodies or clothes or nice cars or powerful positions, love should be the first thing people notice about us. It’s what makes us the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment