Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

confidence


After a day of riots and dangerous near-beatings, of arrest and chaining and release, Paul faced his accusers. The Roman commander brought in all the religious power players: the high priest, the Pharisees, and the Sanhedrin.

This is how Paul started his defense: Acts 23:1: “Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, ‘My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.’"

I’m struck by the confidence of this simple statement. Despite all the physical threats of the day and the legal jeopardy he faced, Paul only cared what God thought. He was sure enough of God’s providence and protection that he dared make this statement. 

It was also an appeal, though. It seems to me in this simple statement he was trying to remind everyone there that they served the same God. Put aside the politics, he seems to be saying. Let’s consider what we both know to be more important.

I wonder what it feels like, in the middle of big events, to be able to say, “I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience.” I think I’ve had days where I have, but I think more times I’ve fulfilled my duty to something less than the full measure of my capability.

This looks to me to be a good model for resolving differences among Christians. First, be sure you’ve met your duty to God completely; in other words, that you can represent your position from a place God will approve. Then, trust God that he will not leave you hanging if you tell the truth. Finally, remind everyone that we serve not our own agendas but God’s kingdom.

In the end, it didn’t work for Paul but that’s because God wanted him to testify before the governor and king, and finally before the highest leaders in Rome. Paul’s courage and devotion to duty were needed by God for bigger things.

Which is another sign of God’s approval, one I’d love see for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment