Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, September 21, 2018

once

Once there was a man, a Jewish carpenter who became a rabbi. This man was also God, immaculately conceived and perfect in every way. He lived, and then he died. Once.

But that wasn’t an ordinary death – not even close. When Jesus died, he paid for every sin that ever was; he covered every sinner who ever lived. After tens of generations of faithful priests who killed millions of animals to temporarily atone for peoples’ sins, Jesus did it for all time by dying once.

Because of that, I’ll die once and be judged once, but on judgment day God will see me spotless. When I show up in my grimy sinner-clothes, Jesus will say, “He’s one of mine,” and cover me with a stainless robe of salvation, one just like he wears. When God looks to judge me, he’ll see instead the perfection of Jesus, and instead of recounting my sins he’ll recall Jesus on the cross.

Hebrews 9:27-28: “Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.”

Hallelujah, what a savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment