Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

like us

I remember as a young officer being mentored on leadership. At that time Colin Powell was one of the leading generals in the Army, and our instructor said, “You can look at General Powell and see exceptional leadership in action, but don’t spend too much time figuring out how he did it. You aren’t Colin Powell, so you’ll never be able to lead exactly the way he does. But Colin Powell couldn’t be you either.”

That’s advice I’ve taken to heart since when I’m tempted to try to make myself over in the mold of someone I admire. But this morning, I realized that Jesus is the exception to the rule.

Hebrews 2:17-18 says, “For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”

I can’t be like Jesus, although I’m supposed to try. But Jesus was able to be just like me. He knows what it’s like to get blisters on his hands, eat simple food, look forward to a good night’s rest. He’s been sad and mad and happy and weary. And he knows what it’s like to be tempted. Jesus came to earth to be human, and he didn’t cut any classes or skip any grades.

He didn’t sin either. And in those two things is all of my hope. He knows what I face, and understands why I sometimes fail. But he never failed, so when God took him as a substitute sacrifice, it covered all my sins. And yours, if that’s where you put your hope.

Jesus was like me. That’s one of the things that helps me become more like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment