Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

ignorance

As much as I want to be like John or one of the more responsible disciples, I often relate most closely to Peter. This morning, as I read from Luke 9, I’m seeing myself in that impetuous follower. Look at this, from verses 28-33: 

“About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (He did not know what he was saying.)”

The first thing that connected with me personally was that final parenthetical comment. How often don’t I speak before I really understand what’s going on?

That just made me think at greater length about how often I may express myself about ministry without really getting what Jesus is up to. I may counsel conformity to tradition when God is moving in an entirely new way. I might defend an outdated idea when a newer Christian wants to try something different. I could, and often do, recommend patience and caution when boldness is what’s needed to advance the Gospel.

Peter looked at what was happening and misunderstood. He wanted to dwell in the moment. He thought Jesus’ transfiguration and the appearance of Moses and Elijah were the end, the purpose, instead of being a step. He didn’t realize that this amazing moment was meant to propel Jesus’ work forward. So he wanted to build shelters and stay.

In the same way, I can easily want to rest where we are instead of pushing for what could be. When that’s what I want, I have to acknowledge my ignorance of what Jesus is doing. Because Jesus isn’t resting, he’s working.

No comments:

Post a Comment