Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, February 18, 2019

offense

American’s have their own unique stumbling block, a trait we have that Satan can readily exploit: our pride in independence. We think we don’t need anyone else; we can go our own way. It’s a short step from that to insisting on our own way, and an even shorter step to false pride that demands respect from others as an entitlement.

This morning, it helps me (at the same time it convicts) to know that Jesus thought the opposite way. Look at what he said about paying taxes, in Matthew 17:25-27: 

“When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. ‘What do you think, Simon?’ he asked. ‘From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes —from their own children or from others?’
“‘From others,’ Peter answered.
“‘Then the children are exempt,’ Jesus said to him. ‘But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.’”

It’s almost a cliche in Christian circles to ask WWJD, what would Jesus do? From this passage it seems that Jesus would subordinate himself in order not to offend others. After acknowledging that he would be perfectly within his rights to refuse, Jesus instead goes to the length of performing a miracle in order to not cause offense.

Is that what I would do? Or would I call them snowflakes and tell them to suck it up? Or maybe tell them they can avoid me if they want, but I don’t have to change for them? Or just blow them off?

Jesus has expectations of me that are completely different than what I think is right, and he not only told me what they are, he showed me what they look like. One of the hardest might be to give up my own rights that I may not cause offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment