Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

No fear

Paul's instruction to the Corinthians regarding Timothy is kind of strange. "If Timothy comes, see to it that he has nothing to fear while he is with you, for he is carrying on the work of the Lord, just as I am. No one, then, should refuse to accept him. Send him on his way in peace so that he may return to me. I am expecting him along with the brothers." (1 Cor 16:9-10)

See to it that he has nothing to fear? What should make him afraid? What threat should there be in visiting fellow Christians? Paul suggests they might not accept him, and tries to assure the Corinthians that Timothy is one of the good guys.

It's interesting to me that this problem of acceptance was already a feature of the early church. It seems to me that we have it in spades. I know I can be pretty skeptical of a speaker who isn't Calvinist, and I've even been known to refuse to listen to someone who's too charismatic or conservative. I don't think that makes me abnormal.

But it's sad to think that we in the church can be so close-minded that some might fear to come to us. At a minimum shouldn't we be able to worship and fellowship with anyone who follows the same Lord we do? How much better wouldn't it be if we were secure enough to listen to new ideas.

Debate or even open conflict among believers should be nothing to fear if we model ourselves after Jesus. The only ones who were afraid of Jesus were demons and those who opposed His rule.

Paul saw that unless he ran some interference, Timothy was likely to have an unpleasant experience in the church at Corinth. I need to ask myself who I make feel unwelcome in my church. It's probably more people than I realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment