Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Praise be

Peter is a much more concise writer than Paul. Paul was gifted in his ability to thoroughly explain complex points of doctrine, or to craft beautiful passages of praise. Blunt, direct fisherman Peter was gifted in his ability to say a lot with a few words. That's why I never get very far reading him before he engages my thoughts. 

And that's why this morning, intending to read more, I quit after just two verses (1 Peter 1:3-4) "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you."

Wow, there's a lot there. God's great mercy . . . New birth . . . Living hope . . . Jesus' resurrection . . . An indestructible inheritance . . . Kept in heaven for me. Any one of those would make a sermon.

It's like Peter can't help himself. He meant to say, "Praise God," and then he needed to say why, and this whole amazing thing of salvation and eternal life just comes bubbling out. Remember, it was all brand new for Peter, and so it was still very exciting,

I wish I was that excited. I wish every time I started saying something simple, like hello, I wound up pouring out my excitement about the most significant and important thing in my life. And I wish when that did happen, that thing was my salvation and not some earthly triumph.

All from a simple working guy, Peter, someone I'd probably look down on if I met him. If God used Peter, He can use me. He's probably trying to; I may just not be as cooperative.

No comments:

Post a Comment