Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Opposition

I wonder if Paul saw anything the way I do.

In 1 Corinthians 16:5-9, he's making plans. He got through the business part of the letter and now he's passing on a few personal messages, and he starts by letting the Corinthians know he's coming for a visit. He says he'd like to make it a good long visit, but he's going to go to Macedonia first. And he intends to stay in Ephesus until Pentecost.

Why? Because he has this great opportunity to do work a lot of people are opposed to. Really - listen to verses 8 and 9: "But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me."

Like most folks, I sometimes talk about doors opening and windows of opportunity. But to me, one of the characteristics I use to define that opportunity is the fact that there's not much resistance. I never say, "I knew that was God's leading because I had to kick the door in."

When I encounter resistance, I re-evaluate. I ask why I seem to be out of sync with so many people. I probe to learn why people don't seem to value what I'm trying to do. And in the end I often decide that God is signaling me to spend my time somewhere else.

But Paul's example makes me wonder about that approach. Paul has only one criteria for plowing ahead: are there souls to be won? The more the better. The opposition just means it will take a little longer.

That challenges me, because I think there's a key difference between how Paul and I approach ministry. Paul never forgets his role as co-worker with God, or more accurately foot soldier in the Lord's army. Paul discounts opposition because he knows nothing can stand against the will of God.

I think about what I can get done in my own strength. I say with my mouth but don't really expect to see in reality that God can change hearts, He can provide resources, He will sustain me with energy and enthusiasm. I say those things, but when I'm doing my relative combat power analysis I seldom take Him into account. Then it's me against the world.

No wonder I retreat so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment